Winston-Salem - Tourist Attractions, Things To Do, Hotels And Restaurants
Winston-Salem, also known as the “Twin City,” was formed in 1913 by merging two separate towns: Winston and Salem. Nestled in the Piedmont Triad area of North Carolina, Winston-Salem is a vibrant city with a rich history, diverse culture, and a thriving arts scene. One of the exciting facts about Winston-Salem is that its history is intertwined with the tobacco industry, earning it the nickname “Camel City” due to its association with the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. However, the city has diversified its economy, embracing industries like biotechnology, healthcare, and financial services.
When we talk about Winston-Salem climate, it is humid subtropical with hot & humid summers and cold winters. The average high temperature varies from 51 °F (11 °C) in the winter to 89 °F (32 °C) in the summer. Enjoy the summers by dining outdoors with rooftop seating and various cuisines from fresh seafood to authentic Southern fare. To fully immerse yourself in the winter spirit, you can attend holiday events like tree lighting ceremonies, holiday markets, etc.
The city has a strong tradition of playing and cheering for teams. Basketball is very popular, especially the Wake Forest Demon Deacons men’s team. They play in a big league called the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC). If you are into football, you can support the Wake Forest Demon Deacons football team, which plays in a group called FBS in the NCAA. These sports and other leagues make Winston-Salem a hub for athletic excitement and fan engagement.
Now that you have been impressed by what this lovely city offers and have decided to visit, here’s what you can do!
You can start your day by exploring Winston-Salem’s history with a visit to Old Salem, a historic district that transports you back to the 18th century. Then, stroll through the Moravian gardens, explore the workshops where traditional crafts are still practiced, and admire the architecture that has remained unchanged for centuries.
What is Winston-Salem known for?
Winston-Salem is known for many incredible things. It is famous for its friendly people, delicious food like barbecue, and being a hub for arts and culture. It is known as the “City of Arts and Innovation” since it established the first arts council in the United States (in 1949) and has several local art schools and attractions.
Stay in Winston-Salem
Winston-Salem offers a diverse range of hotels in Winston-Salem, NC, to suit every traveler’s needs and preferences. Here’s a brief overview of the city’s lodging options:
There are several luxury hotels in Winston Salem, NC, including
Umstead Hotel and Spa
The Umstead Hotel and Spa, situated within 12 acres of serene woodlands overlooking a private lake, is a refined masterpiece on Woodland Pond Drive, Cary. It is a Forbes Five-Star and AAA Five-Diamond hotel that provides a luxurious retreat with exquisite dining and a world-class spa, offering a retreat for people looking for a stunning and rejuvenating escape.
- An 18-hole championship golf course
- Multiple outdoor pools and a heated indoor pool
- A state-of-the-art fitness center
- Tennis courts
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the property
Based on popularity, reviews, and amenities, these are the top family-friendly Winston-Salem hotels:
Courtyard by Marriott Winston-Salem University. Situated near Wake Forest University, this hotel offers spacious rooms with comfortable beds, a pool, a game room, and a complimentary hot breakfast. It is one of the places to stay in Winston Salem, also within walking distance of Reynolda House Museum of American Art.
Its amenities include:
- A sparkling outdoor pool and a relaxing whirlpool spa
- A well-equipped fitness center with cardio and strength-training equipment
- A complimentary hot breakfast buffet with various options
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel
- On-site laundry facilities
Resorts and Spas:
For those seeking relaxation and rejuvenation, Winston-Salem offers several resorts and spas, including
The Inn at Reynolda Gardens: Located within the picturesque Reynolda Gardens, this charming inn provides a tranquil escape with elegant accommodations, a spa, and access to the gardens’ serene beauty.
Salem Glen Golf Club and Resort: This upscale resort offers a combination of golf, lodging, and spa amenities, making it ideal for those seeking a relaxing getaway.
Is Winston-Salem a good place to live?
Yes, Winston-Salem is a great place to live. The city offers a friendly community, delicious food, and a rich history. For temporary accommodation, consider exploring extended-stay hotels in Winston-Salem for a comfortable and convenient stay.
Things to do in Winston-Salem
There are many things to do in Winston-Salem, NC, with a blend of history, arts, and outdoor recreation. Here’s a glimpse into the city’s vibrant offerings:
- SciWorks Science Center: Perfect for families, SciWorks engages visitors with hands-on science exhibits and a planetarium. It’s an educational and entertaining experience, making science come alive in a fun and interactive way.
- Graylyn Estate: One of the Winston-Salem attractions is the tranquility of Graylyn Estate, a 55-acre estate with gardens, woodlands, and a historic mansion. Explore the walking trails, enjoy a picnic by the lake, or attend one of the many events held on the estate.
- Brumley Forest Nature Preserve: One of the best places to visit in Winston Salem is the nature at Brumley Forest Nature Preserve, a 1,200-acre preserve with hiking trails, a nature center, and various wildlife. Enjoy birdwatching, explore the diverse plant life, and connect with the area’s natural beauty.
- Bethabara Moravian Historical Park: Step back to the 18th century at Bethabara Moravian Historical Park, the oldest Moravian settlement in North Carolina. Explore the preserved buildings, gardens, and artifacts that showcase the Moravian way of life.
- Winston-Salem Aviation Museum: When it comes to Winston-Salem things to do, you can explore the fascinating aviation history at the Winston-Salem Aviation Museum. Admire a collection of historical aircraft, exhibits on pioneering pilots, and interactive displays that bring aviation history to life.
- Winston Cup Museum: Racing enthusiasts will appreciate the Winston Cup Museum, dedicated to the history of NASCAR. Discover iconic cars, memorabilia, and the evolution of this thrilling sport.
- Admire Art at Reynolda House: Experience art at the Reynolda House Museum of American Art, showcasing an extensive collection of American paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts.
- Experience Nature at Salem Lake Park: Relax and unwind at Salem Lake Park, offering scenic trails for hiking or biking, opportunities for kayaking or paddleboarding, and picnic areas amidst serene surroundings.
What are some fun facts about Winston-Salem?
Winston-Salem is home to Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, founded here in 1937. The city boasts the first arts council in the nation. For fun things to do in Winston-Salem, savor the local food scene and enjoy vibrant arts and culture in the Downtown Arts District.
Current Winston-Salem Events, Places to Visit, and Ticket Availability
During the day, explore cultural Winston-Salem events like art shows in the Downtown Arts District. On weekends, catch live concerts in Winston Salem and theater shows for entertainment. Enjoy sports events, including college games, and enjoy comedy shows for a good laugh. Keep an eye on the local event calendar of Eventsfy for precise details on things to do in Winston Salem, NC, this weekend. No matter if it’s daytime art or evening music and sports, Winston-Salem has a diverse range of events to suit everyone’s taste!If you wish to enjoy live music, sports, theatre, or performing arts events, visit the official website of Eventsfy, learn the venue details, and book your tickets instantly.
Most Visited Event Places/Venues in Winston-Salem
This historic music venue has been hosting live music since the 1970s. It features diverse numbers of local and touring bands and open mic nights. Under the warm glow of stage lights, CB’s Tavern transforms into a dynamic hub of musical expression. The dimly lighted stage and antique wooden bar convey memories of numerous melodies and cherished moments, creating an authentic atmosphere. CB, born in Moravian culture, became the beating heart of the rock scene, featuring legends such as The Ramones and Joan Jett. It’s not just a venue; it’s an ignition for artistic collaboration and a canvas for diverse talents. CB’s Tavern is now a living legend, inscribed in Winston-Salem’s cultural heart and waiting for you to find it.
The Stevens Center for Performing Arts:
Erected in 1983, its neoclassical architecture seamlessly blends with the cityscape. Its soaring ceilings, gleaming marble floors, and intricate chandeliers create a sense of luxury and refinement. Originally a silent movie theater, a meticulous renovation transformed it into a premier venue. Hosting Broadway blockbusters like “Les Miserables” and ballets, it holds historical significance. Beyond its walls, it catalyzes artistic growth, premiering works like Neil Simon’s “Lost in Yonkers.” The Stevens Center’s legacy of excellence and community engagement inspires generations, shaping Winston-Salem’s cultural landscape.
The Hanes Park Aquatic Center in Winston-Salem:
The Hanes Park Aquatic Center in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, is popular for aquatic fun. It is in Hanes Park and features a spacious main pool for leisurely and lap swimming. Thrill-seekers can enjoy the excitement of water slides, including a winding tube slide and an adrenaline-pumping body slide. Younger visitors can splash around in the interactive splash zone with playful water features. The center also offers a dedicated concession stand for refreshments and snacks, ensuring a delightful experience. Shaded seating areas provide relaxation between activities. With its various aquatic attractions and amenities, the Hanes Park Aquatic Center is a refreshing destination for families and individuals.
Events in Winston-Salem – Current and Upcoming Events Calendar
Check out the current events happening in the Winston-Salem area and book tickets now at Eventsfy.com.
Winston-Salem is a hub of history, culture, events, and entertainment for everyone. Whether you are a history lover, an art enthusiast, a foodie, or simply looking for a gorgeous vacation, Winston-Salem will not disappoint. If you’re looking for more interesting and enjoyable cultural activities, you could choose to think about going to Baltimore.